SANDRA J. HENRY, Plaintiff,
CHRISTIANA CARE HEALTH SERVICES, INC., Defendant.
Submitted: July 25, 2013
Upon Motion of Defendant Christiana Care Health Services, Inc. to Determine if the Affidavit of Merit Complies with 18 Del. C. §§ 6853(a)(1) and (c)
Honorable Mary M. Johnston
Section 6853(a)(1) of title 18 of the Delaware Code provides that all healthcare negligence complaints must be accompanied by an affidavit of merit as to each defendant signed by an expert witness, accompanied by a current curriculum vitae of the witness, stating that there are reasonable grounds to believe that there has been healthcare medical negligence committed by each defendant.
In this case, the affidavit of merit was filed under seal, as required. Pursuant to 18 Del. C. § 6853(d), Defendant Christiana Care Health Services requested in camera review of the affidavit to determine compliance with sections 6853(a)(1) and (c). The Court has reviewed the affidavit of merit and the accompanying curriculum vitae. The Court finds:
1. The affidavit is signed by an expert witness.
2. The affidavit is accompanied by a current curriculum vitae.
3. The affidavit sets forth the expert's opinion that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the applicable standard of care was breached by Defendant.
4. The affidavit sets forth the expert's opinion that there are reasonable grounds to believe that specifically enumerated breaches by Defendant proximately caused the injuries claimed in the complaint.
5. The expert witness was licensed as a Registered Nurse as of the date of the affidavit.
6. In the 3 years immediately preceding the alleged negligent act, the expert witness was engaged in the treatment of patients and/or in the teaching/academic side of medicine in the field of surgical nursing care.
7. The expert witness is board-certified as a Registered Nurse.
THEREFORE, the Court having reviewed in camera the affidavit of merit and accompanying curriculum vitae of plaintiff's expert witness, the Court finds that the affidavit of merit complies with ...